Everyone enjoys a holiday break from the daily routine and pressures of everyday life. However, it never pays to take a “holiday” from maintaining the health of your smile!
A good oral hygiene routine can often become neglected when your schedule is disrupted, or put on hold for some rest and relaxation while away on holiday. Combined with the likely increase in the consumption of sweeter, less healthy foods, the foundation for an increase in plaque on tooth surfaces can be unexpectedly created. It is important to not only pack your toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental floss but to continue your oral hygiene routine no matter where you go.
Here are some travel-related tips for maintaining your dental health:
- When on a long flight, use a mouthwash or brush your teeth before landing. It will help to remove harmful bacteria, freshen your breath and wake you up a bit.
- If the water at your destination is not drinkable, be sure to access bottled water for use when brushing your teeth.
- In a pinch, rinse thoroughly with a mouthwash until you can brush and floss your teeth.
- If consuming more sweets than usual or drinking dark beverages, be sure to drink plenty of water to keep the tooth surfaces clean.
- Leave your toothbrush and toothpaste out and visible so you don’t forget to brush and floss if going to bed or getting up at different times than usual.
Staying well hydrated is also important if you are in a hotter, drier climate or very active while on holiday- dehydration can reduce saliva production and dry the mouth which can allow bacteria to increase on tooth surfaces.
Enjoying some holiday time close to home? A “staycation” can also be a great time to come in for a routine dental visit or schedule a consultation to discuss a cosmetic or restorative treatment you need or desire. Some patients use their holiday time off to make over their smile or restore their oral health. Heading back to work with a brighter, healthier and more comfortable smile can boost your confidence and performance.